Travel trailers and fifth wheels are the two most popular towable RV varieties available. Both are great choices for families, couples and adventurers, but each has its own unique benefits and trade-offs. If you are deciding between these two options, we have put together a brief guide to help you find what best suits your needs.
- Young families
- Weekend warriors
- Medium- to long-term campers
Travel Trailer Pros:
- Affordable, fully-equipped RVs
- Great for vacations and weekend adventures
- Wide range of styles for every need
- Depending on size, can be towed by SUVs, trucks, vans, etc. with proper towing capacity
Travel Trailer Cons:
- More susceptible to sway than fifth wheels
- Better suited for shorter trips than long treks
- Single-level floorplan limits privacy
A travel trailer is an affordable and versatile option for both weekend adventurers and semi-permanent campers. Travel trailers are the most popular RVs on the market, and they offer a wide range of floorplans and styles—from basic, ultra-light models to spacious, multi-slide models that can sleep up to 10.
Depending on their size, travel trailers can be towed by many vehicles, including pick-ups, SUVs, vans and more. They are best suited for shorter trips or longer stays at campgrounds.
Prices range from $10,000 to $60,000+.